Monday, December 28, 2009

Blogging, knitting and selling computers

Yesterday Mom and I were talking about Dad and his mom (my grandma) who died long ago. Mom resentfully noted:

"Your grandma used to knit three pieces a year and she called that having a job, and your dad sold five computers a year and he called that having a job."

That comment made me shrink when I thought about this blog I just started. I felt discouraged on the precipice of my third post. Neither Dad nor Grandma were obviously too successful in their self-acquired businesses. Both of them are/were hypochondriacs who stayed home for the better part of their days. I just imagined what the continuation of Mom's line would be five years down the road:

"...and you write one paragraph once every few days, on some website that nobody reads, and you call that having a job."

The thing is that my Mom is the most amazing person in the world. If I had the power to make her a saint, I would. But she wouldn't understand blogging. She is a hard worker and a highly respected professional in her field and I feel like a loser staying home with Dad these days while I'm supposedly looking for a job. Which is one of the reasons I should get a real job with a steady paycheck even if that makes me a corporate slave.

No comments:

Post a Comment