Thursday, January 7, 2010

Cover letters and servility

A friend of mine used to proofread all my cover letters. Gradually he started replacing words and phrases and eventually he started completely remodeling my cover letters to entirely fit his writing style. I'm not going to lie and I'll admit I might've induced that behavior by not wanting to deal with my cover letters but that's not the point. The point is - after I while I realized that his letters sound servile. Behind the pompous phrases and complicated sentences was hiding a style revealing insecurity. He was kissing the ass of my potential employers in each cover letter.

Then I thought - if someone *does* ask me for an interview, it'll be someone who likes that cover letter. That means I'll eventually end up working for someone who *likes* to have their ass kissed, and this is the last kind of employer I'd ever want to work for.

So, bottom line, I believe that writing *your* cover letters in *your* style is the best thing you can do for your long-run professional well being. Let your cover letter portrait true confidence and not artificially inflated one. Whoever likes you for who you are is the boss you would most like to work for.

More on how useless cover letters really are - another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment